Friday 1 January 2010

tocang terbalik!

catchy title! =P

watchnite service was different this year. i wrote about watchnite last year too. i realize i titled it, “my feet stink”. which has absolutely nothing to do with watchnite.

anyway. phye keat was the chairperson this time, and there was no powerpoint fireworks like uncle wee min’s. ahahaha.

i complained about not having a summary of the church’s year, right? they had it this time round. i counted the number of events i attended, and the total came up to about… two? don’t have to be a non-law student to get there in numbers.

shaw mei (i finally decided to call her that after a year) asked me to go for the family camp in 2009. i didn’t go cuz… i was in malacca. ya. feeble excuse. i shall try harder to go for 2010’s family camp. if they have one.

oh ya. as usual, they had this skit going on. and as usual, it was a very interesting concept. which i shall not elaborate on here cuz i mau tidur soon.

Image1305 copy jason (left) always plays that role in the skits. ahahaha.

Image1307 copy the prayer was a major hyperbole,

but i guess there was also much truth in it.

 

watchnite message was alright. struck me that the speaker talked about devotion to prayer right after i decided to reactivate my prayer life during Quiet Time today. i mean yesterday. “dear God, i pray for everyone” and “dear God, i pray you’ll save everyone”. how often do we pray like that? if that’s called devotion to prayer, my socks can dance.

SK315

 

he also told a story of a guy who prayed the Lord’s Prayer every night till he got bored.lords_prayer

 

so one night, he typed the prayer out nicely and stuck it to his bedside. then he said, “dear Jesus, i’m gonna go to bed. please, read for Yourself.”

ROFL. got such people in the world. might as well ask Jesus ownself flip the Bible and read, no need to print. =.= (found in matthew 6:9-13)

there was also the story of a man with his tocang terbalik who has flying wheels on his feet. his name is mr opportunity and his nickname is mr time. when he flies by you at top speed, and you don’t grab his tocang, then you’ve missed mr opportunity.

chinaman-1 copy

i think the story would sound better in chinese.

on another note, i saw something interesting on msn:

i’m the author of my own life;

unfortunately, i’m writing in pen and can’t erase my mistakes.

 

switching back to the first note, phye keat had melissa read this poem (very well read. sort of understand how people can listen to a reading of shakespeare’s poems in their poetry club.) which moved him. after listening to it, i can see why.

 

I want to be a grace guerilla
no longer a chameleon of karma
the time has come to stand out from the crowd.
I want to give forgiveness a fighting chance of freeing me
I want to live in love
and live it out loud.

I want to drink deep of the foolishness of wisdom
instead of swallowing the wisdom of fools

I want to find a source in the deeper mines of meaning
to search out the unsearchable
to invoke the invisible
to choose the truth the TV hypnotists aren't screening.

No camouflage
no entourage
no smoothly fitting-in
I want a faith that goes further than face value
and a beauty that goes deeper than my skin.

I want to be untouched by my possessions
instead of being possessed by what I touch
to test the taste of having nothing to call mine
to hold consumption's cravings back

to be content with luck or lack
to live on water as well as on wine.

I want to spend myself on those I think might need me
not spend all I think I need on myself

I want my heart to be willing to make house calls.
Let those whose rope is at an end find in me a faithful friend
Let me be known as one who rebuilds broken walls.

No camouflage
no entourage
no smoothly fitting-in
I want a faith that goes further than face value
and a beauty that goes deeper than my skin.

I want to be centered outside the circle
to be chiseled by a different seam
I want to be seduced by another story
and drawn into a deeper dream
I want to be anchored in an undiscovered ocean
to revolve around an unfamiliar sun
a boom box tuned to an alternate station
a bullet fired from a different gun.

No camouflage
no entourage
no smoothly fitting-in
I want a faith that goes further than face value
and a beauty that goes deeper than my skin.

-Gerard Kelly, Humanifesto.

 

was, all in all, a good night, as expected. (for those who watched the skit, this would mean something. ahaha.)

juen sms-ed at 1.44am with a happy new year greeting cuz she missed ms. opportunity at church today. i miss being able to sms juen. ahaha. 

anyway.

i’ve got two watchnite services left in pj.

this is me trying to take a photo of desmond’s ‘beard’ and this is desmond evading my cameraphone with the very simple technique called “gerak kiri-kanan”.

Image1308

i’m off to sleep. ta!

No comments: