Wednesday 28 May 2008

To tell the truth...

I'm not a very sympathetic person. People don't move me much.

It'd be too harsh to say that I don't really care about people.

I would rather say that they don't affect me much. I don't know if that's the trait I was born with, or if it was somehow embedded into me along the way.

But I'm not completely unsympathetic.

There's one thing about other people that stops me in my tracks.


Death.
Or the possibility of death.


There's one thing about other people that makes me cry (very involuntarily).


When they cry.


There's one thing about other people that makes me want to do something more than sympathize.


Their loss.


Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:13


If they ever read that verse, that must have been the verse running through their minds.

And there would've been that little voice in their heads that made the feeling of loss seem like an echo resounding against an invisible wall.