Sunday 22 March 2009

the perfect family life


(today's topic in church)

the youth team did a lawak skit first. seriously lawak. exaggerated expressions and over-british accents. XD

then uncle wee min spoke. from here on, i quote uncle wee min. er. maybe paraphrase la.

I wanted to teach John 3:16 to my children, and not just make them memorize it, but make it real to them. So I told them, "Today's Family Quiet Time will be a game." I told them to go up the stairs without touching the stairs. My son tried to scale the wall. And failed. My daughter tried to imitate her brother. And she did it well. She failed too. My youngest kid was like, "Dad, why're you doing this to us?" I smiled, and said, "There is a way to do it." Then I picked my son up, put him on my back, and carried him up the stairs.

We must be intentional and creative when we teach our children, not just give them an exegesis of the Bible and expect it to capture their hearts.

I think my children got what I was trying to teach them - the love of God, and that Jesus Christ took our sins on His shoulders in John 3:16.


For God so loved the world
That He gave His only begotten Son
That whoever believes in Him

Shall not perish
But shall have everlasting life.

John 3:16