Thursday 17 April 2008

Since Everyone's Talking About It

...And since my blog url already has "musique" in it...

I finally heard the famed David Cook-version of Mariah's Always Be My Baby on American Idol Season 7 today.



It was unsurprisingly fairly difficult to appreciate the Cook version. *ducks flying stones*

Not because it wasn't good or a meatless hamburger or anything, but probably because:
  • i was expecting a BOMB after hearing all the feedback (same thing happened with his Billy Jean)
  • besides having my right foot automatically tap to his song and my head nodding to the beat, there wasn't anything else. goosebump meter was napping. =(
  • i couldn't remember the original version anyway (Selective Memory Penyakit), so i couldn't appreciate the whole totally-changed-the-song-in-an-original-way thing

So I jumped along to YouTube to listen to the original version. Run along to YouTube and take a listen if you can't remember also. It's the same thing here and there anyway.

I did love the fact that he added strings and changed the beat and tempo. The strings were a big help in guiding the song to its climax and spilled a little Westlife-harumph spirit into it. And the diminished number of cymbals and slower tempo helped my foot tap along on its own, and my mind to focus on the song instead of being annoyed by a cacat beat like the one in the noise(s) on the radio everyday. But I guess I was expecting a little more. Like for my eyes to twinkle with awe. Or something other.

Oh. And is it just me, or did he go out of pitch along the song?

Hmm. *while ducking flying rocks*

Maybe I should REALLY rush to listen to the original version before I hear a David Cook rendition of a song. I tried today. Honestly. T_T But too many people were rushing to listen to Mariah's version too, I guess.

I think I'm working this all out from the wrong end. I'm starting with: "Ok, so he's got a new version. Let's rate it." I should be starting out the way Mariah did: "I don't know why he chose that song, because I don't know what he's gonna do with it." And then be awed that he actually thought of changing it, and didn't do a hideous job in the process.

Simon said David's a risk-taker, and that's what makes me look forward to every song he sings every week. Because then it'll always be a new week.

All in all, even if he makes a spoof out of a song, I'll still think David Cook rocks (he's single!) and obviously runs over the other contestants with a smokin' huge tractor.

Which reminds me.

I hope Kristy Lee Cook gets her horse back.

No comments: