Monday 28 April 2008

In the midst of croaks and sniffs

I have Mariah's sexy voice. *bangga*

(ter-swallow a giant ball of phlegm instead of spitting it out! cis!)

Anyway, I was encouraged by Yen's frequent posts about the sharing and sermons she hears in church. (so now i tiru also =P)

Daniel shared in youth on Saturday. After singspiration, I asked him what he was sharing on, and he said: The Parable of the Vineyard. Though I didn't say so at the time, I was particularly interested in this parable. One, because I've only heard Dad speak on it once (and no one else really has. in mgc, at least.). Two, because it's a parable in Matthew, and I personally think Matthew notes a lot of interesting parables (a lot about the End Times *hints to the youth*). So I was eagerly waiting for what he had to say.

Wah, this is starting to sound like the kind of thing where the author menghebat-hebatkan the upcoming topic and then suddenly turns around and gives it a thumbs-down.

Neh, not in this case.

To those who don't know, the parable of the vineyard is about two group of workers and one landowner. The first group strikes an agreement with the landowner to work for him for 1 denarius. The landowner then stumbles upon the 2nd group later in the day wandering about without a job, and then hires them with the promise of paying them what they deserve. At the end of the day, both are paid 1 denarius, regardless of how long they'd worked that day. The 1st workers naturally complain la. And then... sendiri baca. =P (Matthew 20:1-16)

I'll not post the outline of what he said, cuz there are still some issues I'm frowning at. Nothing to do with what you shared (yes, I know you're reading), but more of my own pat kua-ness that's itching to know more.

Oh ya. I was GAH when Daniel said at one point: "I got this from Tse Hwei's blog."

GAH!

(i wrote so many things! which one! hope it's something good!)

He quoted the one about the OA. Phew.

That reminds me. I've been wondering: Did something happen while we were away at OA? Cuz the youth seem different suddenly. They're more willing, open and enthusiastic!

So funny la. I was sitting next to Jess. She suddenly asked, "Eh, who's sharing next week?" Typically, I answered, "You lor." Wah, her next answer not typical at all. "I knew it!"

o_O You did?

"After my brother sure me wan la! You plan to put me adi right?"

Being the honest person I am: "Er, no, not really. Wah, you so semangat ar? You speak la!"

Next answer was pretty typical of the mangkuk: "So hard laaa. The parables all so hard! How to speak?"

"I have the outlines for parables book. I can lend you la."

This next answer...I don't know whether to say it was typical of her or not: "Aiyah. No need la. I do myself."

Aiks.

On one hand, Jess has always been the "No, cannot!" --> "Of course I can." in 3 seconds person (talk about self-motivation!). On the other hand... I don't know~ It was like she was volunteering. =D

It was also very encouraging to hear the youth say that they're also very worried about the current state of the youth. As Daniel very nicely put it:

  • Do so many events, the youth also still not growing. Not only not growing, maybe even growing smaller.
This is a good change! I'm happy about it! Er not the part about the youth growing smaller. The other change.

Although concern and worry by themselves don't change much, it's a start. Sooner or later, they'll start to change that concern and worry into work. And that's good. I'm glad we now have a little something more in common.

Life in MGC has changed much since last Christmas, when we had that pep talk. Ahem. I sincerely believe the youth has grown closer and fonder of each other. Now that we're on good terms with each other, I'm hoping to move on to the next step. Which is to start dealing with their feelings of inadequacy as spiritual leaders. (especially kamu - Yen, Adrian, Jess, and Sharma)

On another note, something Uncle Rodney said on Sunday blurred my mind and made me frown:

Sacrifice is always when you don't feel like it.

and then

Jonah's thanksgiving was a sacrifice to God.


Meaning he didn't feel like being thankful?

Big ::CHECK:: symbol in my notebook.

5 comments:

Chen said...

I think the Jonah one right, it's more like in that situation, Jonah may not feel like he's up to giving thanks to God kot but at the same time he knows that it was God who sustained him. So he did what was right. Gave thanks to God.

hwei said...

thought of that. but we give thanks too. so if sacrifice is always when we don't feel like it, then...

Chen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chen said...

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words. It really depends on circumstances. Sacrifices generally means to give something even though it's not in our comfort zone or something like that right? Could be wrong but that's how I see it la. I think Uncle Rodney is just giving the example in the context of Jonah's story la.That's really how I see it. Like sometimes when I was in a terrible situation (i.e my comp crashed with my assignments in it), also difficult to give thanks what. But it takes a lot for me to actually give thanks in that situation. I think it's just the choice of words chosen on that particular Sunday. :)

hwei said...

sacrifice generally means something you offer which costs you something (and you cannot take back cuz adi burned on the altar). just wondering why the Bible didn't say "offering" instead. because like if God saves me from dying in a car accident or when your friend safely gives birth to a healthy baby, it's easy to give thanks. all sacrifices are offerings, but not all offerings are sacrifices right?

or maybe i'm wrong somewhere. i shall check and we shall both know soon! =D