Friday 4 April 2008

It Pays To Have A Good Memory =P

I remember the tears I cried when the magazine advisor yelled at me on the phone.
...But I also remember the beating you took for me when you heard me cry.

I remember the thumbs-down sign I showed you in public because I was ashamed of you.
...And though I never apologized, I remember that you forgave me.

I remember arguing with you impatiently when you chided me.
...And I remember the money you put on the table for me without a word a second later.

I remember the proud look on your face as you boasted about me to everyone who asked.
...But I also remember the years of consistently disappointing you every week.

I remember how it especially hurt when even you said I didn't play fair.
...But I also remember how you put your arms around me when I walked away crying.

I remember how the tears slipped down your cheek that day.
...And I also remember how I didn't put an arm around you though your eyes asked for it.

I remember crying and hiding myself in the room after that argument.
...But I also remember the food you brought me when I didn't turn up for dinner.

I remember the sinking feeling of defeat that day.
...But I also remember the makan you casually gave me to make me feel better.

I remember the disappointment of knowing you treat others better than you do me.
...But I also remember the hurt on your face as I deliberately hurt you a long time ago.

I remember the frustration I felt when you asked too many questions.
...But I also remember the time you sneaked a hot cup of milo into class for me when I needed it.

I remember the pride of being called a devotion leader.
...But I also remember the time I failed to encourage and exhort.



There is much to remember because there is much that has happened. And much will happen still.

But our minds were not made to remember everything.

Be wise in choosing what you remember.

Because I remember what you did, I learned to defend when others mocked.

Because I remember what I received, I learned to give.

Because I remember receiving help I didn't ask for, I learned to offer help.

Because I remember my pride, I learned to be humble.

Because I remember my failings, I learned not to judge and condemn.

Because I remember that there was grace, I learned to give grace.

There will always be grace. (because we are in the period of grace)

But this is my prayer - let some of that grace come from me.





p/s: the 'you' in this awfully long post is plural. as in they're all different people. =P

8 comments:

mau said...

without ur "p/s" i would have asked you who's the "you" but since u said it's plural,well... plural it is... hehe...

p/s : i hope i'm 1 of the "you"... ahahaha... jk-ing...

hwei said...

no comment. haha.

TakeWay said...

obviously, it has to be different persons. my guess is, one of them is you dad?

hwei said...

no comment. XD

TakeWay said...

remove Dumuro !!

hwei said...

ok!

Sherene said...

Memories are sometimes our best teacher. =)

hwei said...

yeah. they are. altho sometimes the worst companion. ish.