Friday 8 April 2011

today i was reminded.

Of what Jubili said one CG ago, in his usual poetic manner:

When I got into UM, I thought I should do something for God.
But I didn't know what to do,
so I decided to be the picture of a Christian.
And I discovered that it was so hard!
It's so hard to not retaliate when someone says something mean to me.
It's so hard not to be angry when someone insults me.
It's so hard to be positive when everyone's stressed out.
It's so hard being alone.
One person can't save the world.
That's why I think it's important to be in a community of Christians.
At least, together,
we can feel like we're saving the world.


I went to the hospital today to visit that uncle whose eyes had seemed to beg us to go back today.

After seeing him, I went to visit another patient who's been there since the week before Chinese New Year. Before I could talk to her, the patient on the other bed pulled my arm and begged me to help her off the bed.

The nurse told me not to, so I stayed with her, not knowing what to do, 
listened to her, not understanding what she said, 
prayed for her, knowing she didn't understand the prayer.

I told her to get some sleep because she was tired, and then I left.

One person can't save the world.

Everytime I go there, I feel like something, someone, needs saving, but I don't know how to save anybody.

I'm just a law student struggling to complete a thesis.

I'm just a law student.

Just a law student.

I was reminded of the time Avni came with us, showing us that there is so much a medical student can do for Gerakan PPUM. 

Lydia and Li Jye came with us yesterday, showing us that there is so much Hokkien-proficient people can do for Gerakan PPUM.

I'm just a law student who can't speak Hokkien,
but together, if we all just used our strengths, 
together,
we can save the world.
Or at least, 
a ward of broken people.

No comments: