Friday 29 April 2011

law abiding citizen.

law_abiding_citizen_photo

 

Finally got Chelsea to watch it. =P

I like this movie, despite the gruesomeness and the occasional swear-words, not because it’s about the law and I’m a law student, but because…

…It’s real.

Both their struggles were real - struggles I knew I would face if I chose to be a criminal lawyer. That’s why I said I won’t be one even before I got into law school.

And that’s another thing I like about the movie – that they struggled.

It’s not easy to admit you’re wrong when you’ve held for 10 years that you were right.

It’s not easy to hold on to a decision when everyone else thinks you’re wrong.

 

An exchange from the movie that struck me:

Nick
Do you think your wife and daughter would feel good about you killing in their name?

Silence.

Clyde
My wife and daughter can’t feel anything.
They’re dead.

 

And just one more, for the law student who may lose sight of her ideals one day:

Sarah
Would you do it the same way now? Would you still cut the deal for Darby?

Nick
This is the job, Sarah. We have to make choices.

Sarah
But did you make the right choice?

Nick
We made the right choice, alright?

Sarah
I don’t know.
I’m 35, Nick.
And there are things – there are possibilities that I’m not gonna have now.
And it’s okay. I know it’s part of the deal.
And don’t get me wrong. I love working for you.
But I just want to make sure I gave up those things for more than just a high conviction rate.

 

Justice.

What is justice?

I was thinking,

Maybe the reason why there is this huge area of study called Jurisprudence that tries to answer this question, is because

There is no justice.

That’s why we don’t know what it looks like.

Look around, at the selfishness,
the lies,
the greed,
the nitpicking,
the corruption,
the rationalizing of wrong.

If God would exercise the full measure of His sense of justice, the human race would have died off a long time ago.

Instead, one person took it all.

Justice?

Someone tried to show us what justice is, 2000 years ago.

And we killed Him. And then disbelieved Him. And now we say He probably didn’t exist.

Justice.

Hm.

No comments: