Monday 11 April 2011

this paper.

Requires me to dig into Malaysia's history of clampdowns against bloggers.

I've uncovered quite a bit in the past weeks (some in the past year), things I, as a Malaysian, should have made the effort to know, but didn't.

I even came across a blog that had about three months' worth of posts, and he/she wrote something to this paraphrased effect:

I started this blog to write about my country.
But as I wrote, 
I have become more depressed at the state of my country.
So I shall now end the short life of this blog.



I thought it was funny at first.

But maybe I'm extra emo today. I feel like crying over everything. Following the events surrounding RPK's arrest, detention, and charges, and reading about the support the other bloggers readily gave him during this trying period, left me feeling like I missed a significant portion of my country's history. Me, a Malaysian, living right here in Malaysia, and letting everything pass me by like none of it concerned me.

Another blogger's profile description reads:

After doing the best I could ...
I would want my grandsons ...
to remember that their grandpa
tried his best
to make this a better world for them.



We can certainly achieve many things without passion.
But was anything great achieved without it?

But for one man's passion for his nation, would India be free today?
But for one man's passion for the chained, would African Americans be free today?
But for one man's passion for the lost, would we be free today?

Why do we sometimes go through life like nothing  matters?

No comments: