Saturday 2 August 2008

The World. Wah.

Before the Law Lecture, I went for PKVUM* at 12.30pm at the Geology Fac (I think). I saw our advisor for the first time. He was nothing like what I expected. Hmm hmm. Name = Dr Living Lee. Weird name. Caught my eye the first time I saw it on the pieces of paper they gave us during Malam Suai Kenal. He sat way in front that day, so all I saw was his back. Typical guy with white hair and stuff (i thought he was short =P). When he stood up to speak, everything changed.

Suddenly he was this really charismatic (to all brethren, i mean that in a not-so-Christian way, if you know what i mean) guy with distinct facial features - a well-lined face with confident eyes and a bold mouth. Yeah, I'm not very good with descriptions. People must be wondering what on earth confident eyes and bold mouths are supposed to look like. *sweat* Yah, anyway, nothing wrong with his teeth. Eh hehe. I look at people's teeth first. (beware all ye who brusheth not thine teeth)

Topic was the Great Commission. I expected him to give some really long and elaborate (and often heard) speech about Matthew 28:19-20. Instead, he made things very practical. He asked us to take a look at the passage:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them
in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
And surely I am with you always,
to the very end of the age.


What 2 words jump out at you?

"Who picked 'go'?"

2/3 of the people there raised their hands. As usual, I was oblivious to instruction and didn't know what these people were raising their hands for. But I suppose I would've raised mine too if I'd heard what he asked.

Anyway, he made a comment on that go word.

"We're always inviting our friends to come to church, come to this event, come to PKV, come for cell group, and when they don't, we get all disappointed and we think we're failures. In a sense, you are. Because Jesus said to go. Most of us these days are just trying to get people to come."

Ooook. Aku tercucuk. Although I got go a bit also.

Next, he present this diagram (don't have original copy, so please make do with the pirated version):


"None of my friends came to know Christ when I was in school, or in university. I used to feel like a failure. Is there something wrong with the way I live my life? Is it my testimony? But when I was first presented with this diagram, the person who showed it to me said that evangelism is moving people to the right. Some of your friends may be openly hostile or indifferent when you first tell them about the Gospel. It's okay. You know, whenever we gather for university reunions, I find that most of my friends are now Christians, and even leaders in the church. Just because you haven't done the harvesting, doesn't mean you're a failure."

At the end of the sharing, a guy from Nigeria raised his hand and shared about his vision to bring the Gospel all over the world. He said a lot, but what struck me most was this:

People say that the world is big, but it is not. You may not go to Africa, or Jakarta, or even Thailand, but remember this: Your neighbour is your world. You pass the flame to your neighbour, your neighbour passes it to his neighbour, and very soon, we reach the entire world! The world is too small for Christians!

It's a funny thing.

I went with Dad and sis to a random wedding today, just so we could have lunch together.


wedding lunch. yum.


We passed PJGH**, and Dad said, "Wow, they renovated until so nice d? Last time it was just a small house." Then we parked.

Me: Where's the wedding?
Sis: In the church lor.
Me: Which one?
Sis: This one kua.

-look-

Me: The wedding is in PJGH????????
Dad: Yalah.

Ooook.

Walk, walk, walk.

Sis: Hey, that's Stephen Lew!
Me: Yeah! STEPHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephen: Heyyy! You guys attending the wedding?
Me: Ya. You too?
Stephen: Yeah. I'm an acting valet. Waiting for the parking lot to get full and see if I can offer to drive and park a <some glamourous car name that i dunno> for some rich dudes.


stephen lew. still as selamba as ever.
dad to a lady: "this boy here used to attend mgc."

stephen: "i feel so young."


i noticed he looks different when he stares at food.
=P

Ooook.

I went in, proudly confident (lol) that no one (except Stephen) recognized me.

Sis: Now they would.
Me: Why?
Sis: Cuz you're the only one wearing jeans.

(and slippers)

Watched the uber long wedding ceremony. Looked to my left and guess what?

Sis: That's Shu Lynn's sister!

Ooook.

Went up to the upper seats on the balcony for a better view.

Me: That's Colin Kirton on the piano!

(his piano playing was so good, i tell you)


Me: I don't want to play piano anymore. =(
Sis: ...


Apa ni, the world was getting smaller every minute.

It was a very long ceremony.


presentation by the youth. very nice song.


little skit on how the marriage came to be.
the actor sang out of tune. but not bad, not bad.

10 marks for effort, as shaun would say. lol.



The time finally came. The time when the guy marrying the two said, "You may now kiss the bride." WAH. He even did a dip with the bride. Lol. I didn't recognize the groom at first. Nor did I stop to ponder the name of the groom.

I took a good look at the wedding pictures, which I must admit were very nice. Suddenly it struck me.

Me: Jie! That's Desmond Teoh! The RBS supervisor!
Sis: Really? Really? Eh ya!
Me & Sis: Pa, that's the RBS supervisor!
Dad: Oh, izzit ar?

Ooook.

Nigerian brother was right.

The world is indeed small.


*persaudaraan kristian varsiti universiti malaya
**petaling jaya gospel hall, the church i'm currently attending. sort of.

No comments: