Sunday 10 September 2006

What Happens Next?

I was browsing through Lin's Friendster profile. My immediate reaction was that it was all very different from what it used to be. Her profile, I mean. New photos, brighter smiles, more cheerful profile descriptions, happier times...

JPA has done a lot for her. It kinda reminds me of what Jo said in Little Women when they were all sharing about their dreams:

"If we are all alive ten years hence, let's meet, and see how many of us have got our wishes, or how much nearer we are then than we are now."


Well, Jo never got to write books and be famous, or do heroic and wonderful things that would astonish Laurie, Meg, Beth or Amy, as she'd hoped. And Beth died somewhere along the way, and never got to take care of the house her whole life, as she'd hoped. These two examples are enough to show that none of them achieved what they'd thought was best for them.

As for me and Lin, things have changed a lot since we last complained about the MHS application.

To talk about some other people:
  • Chen Li had always wanted to do Interior Design, but along the way many things have happened that almost caused her to want to do Business instead.
  • Z always said that he wanted to do Business. Of course I had the sneaking suspicion that it was because he didn't really like anything else anyway, but to think of him as a pharmacist is strangely absurd.
  • Jie always thought that she loved Physics, and I think she still does, but not in the way that she'd initially imagined.
  • Sin Lan always spoke as if she would use her Pay Fong qualifications to study in Taiwan or something like that. I know she loved Bio, but Taiwan or Singapore has always been the ideal location for her in both my mind and hers.
  • Mel... I don't really know what she wanted to do, but she definitely wanted, as all other normal humans, to end up in a well-known University that can give her the security she desires for her future.
  • Sin Yee, well, she never really knew what she wanted in the first place. Or she thought she did. But she always jumped from one dream to another. There was once she wanted to be a dentist. Hmm.
  • Ju is also one of those who don't really know what she really wants, but to think of her as an English teacher is strikingly odd somehow.
But look and see where they've all ended up, or are going to end up:
  • Chen Li - The One Academy - Interior Design - Sept 8, 2006
  • Z - University of Nottingham - Pharmacy - Sept 18, 2006
  • Jie - UPM - Accounting
  • Sin Lan - Sedaya - Food Science and Nutrition
  • Mel - KUSTEM - Econs
  • Sin Yee - USM - Physics
  • Ju - UTAR - English - 2007
All this really makes me wonder where I'll end up in two years' time. Or what I'll end up AS. What kind of future do I have? For all I know, I could end up in Pakistan, ministering to the persecuted Christians or something. Anything can happen.

Or maybe I won't even live past tomorrow. Maybe I'll be with Jesus already.

Reminds me of a song that many declare to be utterly boring and beyond excitement:

I don't know about tomorrow
I just live from day to day
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey
I don't worry o'er the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him
For He knows what is ahead

Ev'ry step is getting brighter
As the golden stairs I climb
Ev'ry burden's getting lighter
Ev'ry cloud is silver lined
There the sun is always shining
There no tear will dim the eye
At the ending of the rainbow
Where the mountains touch the sky

I don't know about tomorrow
It may bring me poverty
But the One who feeds the sparrow
Is the One who stands by me
And the path that be my portion
May be through the flame or flood
But His presence goes before me
And I'm covered with His blood

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know Who holds tomorrow
And I know Who holds my hand

When we ponder the wonders of life, the mysteries of the future, and the greatness of our God, this song becomes much lovelier, doesn't it?

As I sit here guessing my future, I realize that the one thrill of being a mortal is not knowing the future, but having the ability to anticipate it with hope and faith in the One who knows.

Now I can leave this computer and hum this song all the way to the bathroom.
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know Who holds tomorrow
And I know Who holds my hand

No comments: