Monday 18 September 2006

Walk His Trail, Run the Race

Geng Yi, Adrian, Shaun and I attended the Footstool Players's play - Walk His Trail, on Sat and Sun. I went again on Sunday cuz Wan Ting was supposed to go also, but she couldn't go at the last minute. Never mind, went again lor. I liked Colin's, Veronica's and "Elisabeth Elliot"'s pronunciation of words anyway. I always say my special skill is the Sharingan, which I use almost all the time to copy other people's skills muahaha. Hopefully I copied enough slang to use in my MUET speaking test next year hehe...

The play was ok la. I wouldn't say it was very good. Unc Ivan said:

It's very hard to get a "very good" from you hor. Your standard very high.

Well, yen mei also said it was ok only. The words very good takes a lot out of a person to say, you know. I would say the Passion of the Christ was good, and The Last Samurai was good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that those movies were very good. Things made by man.. how good can they be anyway?

If you asked me, what did you think of Jesus after watching the Passion of the Christ? I wouldn't say, "His sacrifice... it was very good." In fact, there would be no words to describe what I think about Jesus. He goes beyond very good.

The problem with these two words is that they're either too good for an ok situation or too understated for an awesome situation. I've come to the conclusion that they usually can't be used at all. Except maybe for food. Maybe.

Or the SAGC pianist!!! That guy's playing is really good! See? That's the thing. If I were to use the words very good, I can't afford to use the "!". I'd have to say, "That guy's playing is very good."

Aargh, what's all this about very good's and what-nots!

Anyway, about the play~

I'm not the kind of person to appreciate plays and all the trouble actors go to present a good drama so I wouldn't talk about what good actors they were or anything like that. Rather, what struck me in the play was the passion that those men had for God: Jim Elliot, Pete Flemming, Nate Saint, Ed McCully, Roger Youderian. Although I sometimes found the narration of their letters and journals rather unlively, the core of the message they were sending out struck me to my soul. Their lives were living fulfilment of God's Word!

  • Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me
  • Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me
  • Luk 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it
  • Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for My sake shall find it
Perhaps the verse I loved most was the one uttered by one of the wives after the deaths of their husbands:

Psa 48:14
For this God is our God
For ever and ever:
He will be our guide
Even unto death


Such faith and such peace in the midst of trouble... And what about what Elisabeth quoted many years later?

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels
That the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us
We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed
We are perplexed, but not in despair
Persecuted, but not forsaken
Cast down, but not destroyed
Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus
That the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body
For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake
That the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh

2 Corinthians 4:7-11



And what her own heart said:

God seems to have laid out the order of things, not for the general and brilliant triumph, but for the hidden sanctification of individual souls

BELIEVE
That the will of God is always
Far different
From what we imagined
Far bigger
Far more difficult but
unspeakably more glorious

No doubt the play was ok, but what is not ok is what I can see God did to the people those players represented.

What He did to them... was unspeakably more glorious than anything man can ever capture in a play.

Therefore...

The play was ok.

1 comment:

Air Neslo Beng said...

hope u will peace...visit my website the-sun-daily.com