Sunday 10 September 2006

My Destiny

You know that American Idol song, "My Destiny" by Katharine McPhee? My dad's always wondering why I prefer that song to "Do I Make You Proud" by Taylor Hicks. Let's evaluate:

With you
Finally I can break free
With you
It's all changing in my destiny
Dream come true
It's so funny now that I see
How different life turned out to be
I realize that it's my destiny

When I was applying for the transfer to MHS, I thought: Wow, I'm going to transfer to MHS, find new friends, start a new life there (preferably one where I don't have to be forced into the choir club), and study a totally new course. This course is what I've wanted to do ever since the thought of Form 6 entered my mind. I'm going to get it with God's help, and I'm going to be able to sing this song with some meaning. THIS is my destiny.

Guess what? My application was denied. Aww no song today.

When I was applying for a place in the Law Foundation Course of MMU, I thought: Man, I'm going to university without Form 6 Foundation, start a totally new life there (definitely one where I don't have to be forced into the choir club), and jump right into Law. This course is what I've wanted to do ever since I won the debate in Form 5. But this path that has no connection at all with Form 6 is not what I envisioned for myself at all. My way was not God's way. I've been too focused on getting what I want. I can't even take a detour because I never started on the road. How different life's turning out to be. This song's making more sense than ever. I'm going to sing it more often. THIS is my destiny.

Guess what? My second application to MHS was approved, and I found out that the law certificate in MMU is not recognized. Aww no song today.

When I came to MHS, I thought: Sigh, here I am. Finally where I thought I belonged. Why's God sending me all over the place? Am I finally here to stay? Look at the CF club - almost 20 members! So different from what I was used to in MGSS (5 members). And now I'm the president. I can't do this! I never expected this! IS this my destiny?

Funny. I should be able sing the song just fine now.

With you
Finally I can break free
With you
It's all changing in my destiny
Dream come true
It's so funny now that I see
How different life turned out to be
I realize that it's my destiny

Reminds me of when Uncle Stephen Low told us the story about the lady and the pastor.

Then she told me something that still haunts me: "I came this weekend with one prayer," she said. "I asked God to kill my husband. I prayed, 'Lord, I need a way out! I feel like a bird in a cage.' "

Finally she lifted her eyes and said, "When I prayed that prayer, God spoke to me as clearly as I've ever sensed His voice. He said, 'Even a bird in a cage sings.' "

With tears running down her face she asked, "What am I supposed to do with that? How do I live with that answer?"

Feeling utterly impotent, I replied, "If God says, 'sing,' you need to find your song."


Well, this is my song. It's odd how difficult it is to sing a song when it really applies to you. I find this chorus part of the song especially hard to sing. Whenever I come to the chorus, I just sort of stop singing and just stare into space.

I now realize that the most important thing is not whether I can sing this song or not. What's more important is how I sing it.

Especially that last line.

No comments: