Monday 20 April 2009

how am i doing studying?



#1
i somewhat proudly announce that i've moved somewhat substantially away from nil. somewhat because it's still not as much as it should be.

#2
dad commented that he's never seen me study so seriously for an exam. ah. that's cuz i love what i'm studying. yeah, there's this little mountain of stuff i need to study (cuz i have three papers that are a combination of two semesters' worth of study), but i love every bit of it. studying is tough, but studying what i love is still pretty amazing. considering the fact that i've been studying rubbish almost all my school life. e.g. grasshoppers and fish, and some finger thing to determine magnet stuff in forms 4 & 5.

#3
if you ask me what the study of law is about, i'd now say that it is the study of the individual's private life made public. for example, my analysis of defamation cases has come to conclude that lee kuan yew is forever sueing people, and karpal singh is forever being sued.

#4
there're some interesting things people who don't read newspapers would never know if they never studied law.

e.g. in Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim v Dato' Seri Dr Mahathir Mohomad, an application for leave to appeal to the Federal Court was dismissed, in consideration of the low prospect of success of the applicant's (anwar) case.

cute.

#5
why is it that it is almost always politicians who are involved in defamation cases? are normal people never defamed?

#6
some scribblings i made in my notebook on sunday:

Study week. Didn't study as much as I should have. Been sleeping at 5am for two consecutive days. Slept at 1.30+ am yesterday today. I'm tired. I'm worried. I'm stressed. So much to study, so little time.

A whiff of breeze just swept by. Suddenly I'm optimistic again. I can do it! =D

Where does this come from, Lord? Is it really just me?


...the pessimistic whiff's back. Gah.



then dad spoke on 1 kings 15. it was a thought-provoking chapter with many spiritual moments. i've always loved stories on wars. not because people die. that's the sad part of those stories. but because people say good stuff in the face of death. dad cross-referenced to 2 chronicles 13, and there abijah of judah and his army of 400 000 men did battle with jeroboam of israel and his army of 800 000, bigger than the entire population of malacca, with all its babies, kids, grandpas, and makcik pasars.

...and the children of Judah were strong,

for they leaned on Jehovah,
God of their fathers.


(verse 18, young's translated version modified)

O Lord... Thank You. Thank You.



For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth,
to show himself strong
in the behalf of them
whose heart is perfect toward him.


2 chronicles 16:9



#7
was stressed again yesterday. firstly, the youth had gathered in the house and were making a lot of noise. i didn't really mind the noise, except a little peace and quiet would've been more well-liked. secondly, i was to wake up at 4.30am to go back to pj the next day, and it was already 11+pm. and i was trying to finish studying what i called call redundant 2-credit-hour university subjects that waste time that could've been spent on 6-credit-hour subjects.

they finally left for kah wei's house, and i was left at the dining table, whispering to a God i couldn't see. i looked at the time on my handphone. it was almost midnight. gahness. stood up and started clearing my stuff.

a wave of stress suddenly poured over me, and i almost cried.

then i remembered the verses i'd read in church that same day. and the song, Still, ran through my mind, and soon, out of my mouth in a song of praise.

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father, You are King over the flood
I will be still
and know You are God.


and again, PJGH's Happy Day placed itself in my mind.

Oh, happy day, happy day!
You washed my sin away!
Oh, happy day, happy day!
I'll never be the same!


then God listened as i told Him:

Father,

I will be Your happy child.

you. stress. get out of my way.
(analogy only. shaun's hand is not stress.)

7 comments:

Stefienoki said...

during exam time is like that wan lo... when u said u almost cried, i was shocked, i nvr really know that you would be affected so much by studies (i know last time u din care much also)... but God is with you... so cheer up.. and don always study last min lo.. "God helps those who help themselves"

Shuen said...

Awwwwww. Cheer up! Our God never fails us in times such as these. :)

Remember when the disciples cry out to Jesus?

'Lord, save us! We are perishing!'

Remember what Jesus said and did!

'Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?'

Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

Amy said...

muahaha wonder why everyone goes to university become so stressed, even the happy-go-lucky hwei. I flunk my probability test today ah. stress. =D no lah.. i quite peaceful. I give up in the middle of the test but still so peaceful. haha. from God? eh. I will c u in a bit. Will be home next weekend.

Amy said...

Sometime we work really hard for something we think we are capable of performing too.

Shuen said...

Lin you really coming back ah. Weeeeee!

Tekkaus said...

Preparing for exams? All the best! :D

hwei said...

[Seoks] Last time exams easy mah. =P With all the comments (and thus increased blog traffic lalala), cg meets, church and post-paper celebrations, and anticipation of the fall of Persia in the book of Daniel, I'm better now. Thanks. =D

[Jie] Yeah. He let them get rocked about in the sea first. Hee.

[Lin] Because it's something we chose to do? Meaning if I do badly, I fall short of my own expectations and the burden of failure is upon me alone. I'm working hard for that reason, and because I know the choice I made is well worth it. =D (and also cuz don't want to retake sem la lol) Yay! Come back and bring me outttttt!

[Tekkaus] Thanks!