Saturday 18 November 2006

Jonker

Is it Jonker Street or Jonker Walk anyway? I know it changed from one name to the other but I can't remember which one changed to the other. Ehhh whatever ~

Anyway I went to Jonker's yesterday with Wan Ting, Ben, and Seok Ling. I was supposed to meet up with Pei Ling, Zheng and the rest of the KGC people (I think) but tak jadi la. Here's a brief summary before I head off to the night meeting.

6.30 pm

Wan Ting and Ben came to get me near the bus stand which I insist is cute. It is la k. I mean, it's worn down and stuff but it's still special. Somehow. Hmm.

Oh ya, before that, Ling messaged to say that they were heading to town to have ikan bakar for dinner with Unc Kian and Auntie Kiat Tin. Somewhere around 6pm, I think. Dunno la.

7.00 pm

Good ol' Jonker. Dunno about 'good' but it was definitely old. Hmm. Wan Ting treated me to herbal egg and liang teh, and some gooey stuff which if I heard correctly is mou chi or mau chi. Hmm. I'm a sua ku. I learned these two words because they kept calling me that the whole night -_-

Oh ya, before that, Ben parked his car (technically not his, it was Wan Ting's mum's car) at the foot of St. Paul's Hill. I got the night view of the "Historical Area" of Malacca, and I was kinda wondering how I managed to miss the beauty of it before. There's something about tall, stately buildings that gives me that feeling of awe and admiration when I look at them. It's like in the movies where the lady looks around and the buildings just seem to surround her and she can't help but smile because it's all just so awesome. That's how I felt that night.

And although I thought the windmill looked pretty ridiculous with all those colourful lights decorating its - what do you call them - mills?... haha... whatever la... you get what I mean - I couldn't help feeling a sense of adventure sweep over me as I tried to imagine that this cozy little state was once colonized by the Dutch, Portugese, and Brits!

8.00 pm

We finished walking the whole stretch. If I had a watch, I would have been glancing at it the whole time, wondering when Ling and the rest would be there. A sword guy showed off his authentic and real swords to us. And Wan Ting politely nodded and smiled while Ben and I stood there wondering how we should react. Psst: I was actually thinking of asking him to let me hold the sword - I always wanted to hold one =P Seoks came along and joined us at the cozy little shop with the beautiful little boxes and mirrors that I love so much.

We also took a look at the dumb dumb voodoo dolls that are supposedly a big hit nowadays. Seoks told me that she was a skeptic at first, but one fine day, her friend gave her one, and she threw it away cuz it was ugly la, then the very next day (or was it two days later? Hmm) she got into an accident and something bad happened (won't tell me what).

I was like =_= Hmm. I wasn't afraid to show her that face cuz she mmg know I don't believe this kind of stuff la. Anyway, those voodoo things are supposed to help you snag your crush by simply giving one doll to him / her. Dumb. I do not believe that my fate lies in the hand of a silly, ugly, man-made doll. It's not even cute. Hmmph.

8.33 pm?

Ling messaged and said they had just arrived at Medan Ikan Bakar. Initial reaction was, wut? You guys took 2 hours to get there? Got lost eh? I was actually quite hungry cuz I hadn't eaten yet. Wan Ting had planned to take me to Malim Pasar Malam for dinner, but Seoks said Ling & co. might turn up and then it'll be a waste of time cuz Malim is quite far from Jonker's. Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that. All I know is there are generally soya bean and tong sui at pasar malams.

So we took off in Wan Ting's mum's car and bought some food that I'd never tasted before - some only k i'm not that sua ku - and since I didn't receive any message from Ling saying that they were at Jonker's, we took the food to Wan Ting's place to makan. Here're the ratings:
  • Taiwan Hot Dogs: 9/10
  • Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun: 5/10
  • Kari-dunno-what-thing: -1/10 (cuz I'm orang yang tak makan pedas)
  • Tengkera Putu Piring: 8/10
  • Chicken Wing: 10/10
Um.. please note that my ratings are a little biased cuz I really dislike the foods that I don't eat, and really love the foods that I do eat. I really love hot dogs and chicken wings (sounds odd, like I'm referring to both wings on the chicken instead of the plural of chicken wing... eh apa ni), so I'd give very high ratings to the two even if not very nice =P

9.14 pm

Ling: We're at jonker's!

I only saw the message at 9.30 pm cuz I'd fallen asleep in Wan Ting's house (on her bed ^^;). I dunno why la. My brain sort of switches off on Friday nights. You can imagine how horribly sleepy I feel during Friday Bible studies ya. Eh the sleepiness is not because of the Bible study k. Don't slander me!

I told the rest, and Wan Ting said it was too late already. I actually wanted to go, but then... sit people's car... invade people's house... sleep on people's bed... use people's pillow... where got face to make request somemore right? I messaged Ling:
I'm at my friend's house now. You guys go ahead and go home if I can't make it there in time.
Then I tried to subtlely get away from Wan Ting's house to Jonker's =_= Hope she never finds my blog ^^||| So I stood up and made the first move to leave la, although I actually had no say whatsoever in the matter cuz I couldn't drive the car for some obvious reasons which I will list down anyway:
  1. I'm buta jalan. So I dunno how to get to Jonker's on my own.
  2. The car was manual, and I haven't been driving a manual car cuz Sis took the Kelisa to UPM.
  3. It wasn't my car, for goodness' sake.
Anyway, they followed my lead after a few seconds of awkwardness, I think =P The plan was that Ben would drive us to Jonker's for Seoks to get her car, then he'd drive me home, cuz his house's only 10 minutes away from mine. By then it was 10.15, I think. I dunno what we did until so long after Ling's message. Did I fall asleep again? Hmm. I thought they might've gone home or were ready to go home already. So I messaged Ling and asked if they were still there.

Ling: Yup, we're still here. Come come, almost at the end of the stretch.

Something like that la. I don't exactly have photographic memory plus my brain was almost dead already k. I broke the news to Seoks and Ben. I didn't know what I was trying to achieve, actually. I mean, I couldn't expect Ben to wait for me cuz pleaseeee la, how could I ask Wan Ting's boyfriend to teman me?? Then if Ben went home without me, Seoks would have to drive me home instead, although she was more than willing to teman me la (so nice eh my best friend muahaha), and her house's like super far from mine.

Anyway, they were both very nice. They knew how much I'd been looking forward to this thingy, so Seoks offered to stay back with me and then drive me home afterward. I didn't know what to say cuz it seemed too selfish to ask that of her. So Ben told me to think about it on the way there (got lots of time cuz so far). So I slept first (as usual).

We were actually outside Jonker's only - very near - and I could've just told them I wanted to go meet the others and they would've let me. But then I declined for the reasons stated above and also because I was too sleepy already. So Ben let Seoks down and we took off lor.

I was just messaging Ling about it when she suddenly called me. I was like fuh~~~ chuak la. So I picked it up (half-asleep), and whose voice did I hear? Guess yourself la eh. Hint: It was a real masculine voice =.= Let me give you a rough sketch of the conversation:
Hi. This is Pei Ling. *chuckles and giggles in the background*
Hmm. Ok.
Where are you now? *chuckles and giggles in the background*
I don't think I'm going anymore. You guys go ahead la.
Ohhh ok. *chuckles and giggles in the background*
Hmm.
Oh oh Ah Zheng says ok but Pei Ling says she's angry. *chuckles and giggles in the background*
What? (too sleepy)
Ah Zheng says ok but Pei Ling says she's angry. *chuckles and giggles in the background*
Hmm. Ok.
Ok la. I'll see you tmr. *mega chuckles and giggles in the background*
Hmm --
Eh I mean Ah Zheng will see you tmr. I'm going back, to Kajang... my hometown. *ultra chuckles and giggles in the background*
Hmm. Ok.
Bye. *chuckles and giggles in the background*
Bye.

The one in red's "Pei Ling" and the one in gray is me la. Try and guess who's that la hor -_-

11.15 pm

Finally arrived home and messaged Ling about not meeting up. I told her I'd go visit her one day in Kajang ^^; Good la. Less pressure, cuz then I wouldn't have to play the host buahahahahahhaahahahahahhahaha ~


To tell the truth, I almost got very angry yesterday. Firstly, I didn't find Jonker very satisfying anyway, except the little boxes shop la. There were also some other stuff at Jonker that I didn't like:
  • The silly idea of poking a hole in a coconut with a finger is by itself the most absurd thing anyone could think of. It's even more absurd when you actually do it. To those who dunno what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the guy who puts up a coconut-poking performance at Jonker's.
  • The stall which puts up a caged puppy. That's such an awful thing to do. The puppy's cute la, but using the puppy's asset to imprison it is such a demeaning thing, even if the puppy doesn't really have that sort of consciousness. How would you feel if someone did that to your pet dog??
Secondly, I don't go out often, and when I do, I do so with a purpose. When that initial purpose is not fulfilled, I get frustrated, even if that purpose is replaced by another. Thirdly, Seoks, Wan Ting, and Ben went to teman me, actually, cuz they knew that I'm not exactly the interact-well-in-crowds type. So when I didn't get to meet Ling and the others, I felt like I'd just wasted their time.

And it didn't help much when Zheng asked me why I didn't go to Jonker's like I fang fei ji liddat. And it really didn't help at all when Qi (Zheng's sis) snorted and said: "Never go" when I talked about Jonker today during group devotion.

But thank God there are such things as a comfortable bed, a warm blanket, air-con, and sleep ~

2 comments:

ling said...

lol! so sorry abt not meeting up as well. sigh. i didnt knw u heard me giggling.. hehe. i laughed and laughed reading this blogpost.. hehe. ah qi is cute and cool! :) enjoyed her company as well.

unc kian asked us to stay longer the next time we're there. so we meet up then, alright? :)

hwei said...

I'd rather go up to Kajang and join your YA there. One day la ~ Hmm. Qi teases me a lot -_-" I'm still trying to get her to do her Quiet Time and memorize her memory verse earlier than 5 minutes before group devotion.

Please la you giggle so loud la.