Monday 6 November 2006

Back from OA

Geng Yi
Bryan (or Brian?)
Yi Zheng
Chen Li
Sharonne

Mark
Me
Shaun
Sin Lan

Unc Kian
A. Tina
Ju
Qi

A. Yu Ming
A. Jen
Daniel Lim
Jess

Unc Ivan
A. Kim
Marcus
Jeremy
Livia

Paul
Dan See
Sherene
Jaslyn

When we arrived at dunno what village then we changed passengers la. Cuz Mark's car too lapuk, cannot go up to the place haha. He admitted it himself k bluek. Anyway, all you need to know about the 2nd arrangement is that I had to scoot over to Auntie Yu Ming's car. This is my blog, after all. Heheh.

Hmm.

I didn't really have a memorable time this trip. Not meaning I didn't have fun and all that k. People don't go on mission trips to have fun. Reserve the fun for holidays yeah. The last time I went to OA was when I was on a GLO mission trip end of January this year, and that OA was like cacat wan la. Ahem. Meaning they have Astro, and a TV with a screen bigger than my TV screen, and all sorts of DVD's (Pirated? Hmm...), and they were totally modern. The other time was when the youth and my dad, mum, Unc Kian, and Auntie Yu Ming hiked 2 hours up to the OA settlement. Fuh ~ that one ar... can die man.

Anyway, this time, the only thing that was a bit difficult was the bamboo bridge, which was made out of, well, bamboo. I think it must be quite old already, cuz some parts of it were broken and fragile. I didn't have it too bad. Sin Lan had to carry 8kg of Milo all the way across the bridge and she said she could imagine it giving way. Maybe it was giving way. Maybe that's why I stepped onto a broken bamboo and almost fell on the way back -_-

Talking about falling, it appears to be a custom for me to fall down or spill something almost everywhere I go.
  • 1st OA trip - Fell into a grass-covered hole. CK had to pull me up, and although he didn't laugh at me at the time, he's been laughing at me about it nowadays hmmph
  • 3rd OA trip - Slipped on a bamboo stick and almost fell down onto the rocks. Oh pshaw, it's casual ~
  • GLO: Jan 2006 - Spilled soup on Juliana, Soya bean on Bel, Milo on myself
  • MGC - Fell down and "rolled" down the stairs to the back while hurrying to a youth committee meeting. RBS students saw everything. Cis and Tsk. More Cis than Tsk.
  • MHS: May 2006 - Stepped into the longkang and fell down on one knee, with the whole of the other leg in the longkang. Coincidentally, it was just after the recess bell rang, and so there was A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE THERE! Aargh!
  • MHS: October 2006 - Was walking with Ming Suan and Derrick and ter-langgar one of those broken doors on the ground and almost toppled over. Why don't they throw those things away.....................................
  • Home: Every Single Day For the Past 18 Years of My Life - Rolled down the stairs almost every day when I was younger (no wonder rolling down the stairs in MGC felt familiar), spilled tea, milo, and every other drink in the house, dropped all sorts of food on the floor, broke Shaun's room stool, broke mum's washing stool, chipped off a bit of mum's crockery, accidentally pulled out a component of dad's car (still dunno what's that), ruined Ken's origami papers, and many more of such things that I don't think I want to continue talking about for some very obvious reasons.

Neway don't terpesong. Ok la, terpesong until very far already. Back to OA!

I didn't really mix with the OA this trip. Maybe cuz too many of us already. There were 27 of us (plus Unc David Teo, our guide), so there were little cliques here and there. The number of OA was really very little this time, and the morning worship resembled worship back home, in terms of numbers (that means not much la). Singspiration was a little messy, especially when the chairperson split us into 2 groups and asked one side (mine) to sing the stanzas, while the other group sang the chorus. Of course we didn't know how to sing la. So it was like we were guessing the song the whole way, and the fact that the other group was singing the chorus so loudly (drowning the chairperson's voice in the process) didn't help much either. After singing, Mark, Sin Lan, Shaun, Sharonne, Chen Li, Paul, Geng Yi, Brian, Yi Zheng, Auntie Yu Ming, and I headed to the other hut for the Sunday School. Mark was in charge; Sin Lan, Shaun and Sharonne were helping him, and I invited myself, as Mark said. The rest ar? Chen Li mmg like Children's Ministry wan, and since Yi Zheng and Brian are her friends, they tagged along lor. Geng Yi and Auntie Yu Ming go wherever children go, and Paul, well, Paul was just playing with the monkey. Hmm. Let's not talk much about that.

I felt a little odd cuz so many people went this time. Every since the new oversight took over, I've been having this really funny feeling. Youth events have been on the decline, and in my mind, I keep attributing it to the fact that the oversight have been so ghairah in having events and activities that the youth has been deprived of our own evangelistic ministry. Haiz. I wrote a lot about this just now, but decided to scrape it. It might stumble some people ^^; So I'll leave it at that. Maybe I need some time to get used to the new oversight first. Sigh.

This trip had me witnessing some odd behaviour on the part of the adults, but also helped me see the good side of Unc Kian. He's always extra helpful on trips like these. He helped me the 1st OA trip also, and at Lendu, when I was literally coughing my life away. Hmm. If only he'll be just as nice every other day, I think I just might be able to really warm up to him. Hmm. As I told Chen Li, "hmm" is my standard expression, so you can start getting tired of seeing it now cuz you'll see it many more times. Watching the adults has helped me grow more determined to educate my children properly in the future, and to discipline them with the good ol' rotan, no matter how much it hurts me. It'll hurt them more than it'll hurt me anyway haha ~ Hmm! (like dunno what speech-less anime character liddat) I also didn't correct some of the youth (some adults also) when they were doing something wrong and indecent. I should have, and I really regret not doing so back then. I thought that it would be awful to correct them in front of non-Christians, but looking back, it's really worse testimony not to correct them there and then.

This trip also helped me see that there're a lot of changes that need to take place in me before I can really ask God to use me. I didn't really talk to the OA, and I feel bad about it. I only talked to two girls while they were cooking fried rice, and played some tickling game with the kids. Other than that, my "contributions" to this trip has made me feel useless, and I sort of wonder why I went this time anyway. It was like going for holiday, and that's plain wrong. There are so many people who genuinely need help from us people from the world outside the jungle, and here I am going for a holiday??? I didn't intend for it to be a holiday, but my uselessness made it a holiday anyway. Sigh. Unless I know for sure that my presence there will make a difference, and unless I promise myself and God to do something beneficial there, I will not attend the next OA trip!


Oh ya. We (Mark's kaki-kereta) got lost on the way to Tapah, and on the way back from Tapah. Horrendous. Will blog about it next time. Today I must finish my Math S probability revision excercise. Due tomorrow!

2 comments:

ling said...

hey i think we went to the same OA settlement as well cos i remember unc david teo! he and another lady and two other OA aisyah and abg shamsuddin spoke to us in our church family camp 3 years back! hehe. camerons right? i enjoyed the fellowship i had back then with them but we visited them just a lil while at their church there.. for like, 3 hours? =)

hwei said...

Har really? 3 hours only?

Oh ya, same people! What a coincidence! But then again, there aren't coincidences in the Christian dictionary haha ~