Friday 3 June 2011

socrates.


First, although I will graduate with a good degree from UM, I must never be pompous about it. Otherwise, I’ll be starting out with half my legs chopped off already.


Taken from here.

Second, wherever there are more than five personnel in a firm, there will always be two groups, and there will be sides. Expect that, expect to be bad-mouthed and talked about behind my back, and accept it as a part of life. [In his first week, he insulted someone very badly without knowing it. Sounds like something I would do. Yay.]


Taken from here.

Third, the KL Legal Aid Centre will be very different from the Malacca Legal Aid Centre because of the different environments the two are in. I am to gain as much as I can from the exposure to legal life in KL, but I must not use that as a benchmark for my perception of the practice of law, because ‘life does not have to be that crazy’. [For once, someone agrees with me. And he's Socrates! Haha.]


Fourth, use my leverage to the max. Being a UM student, I will have a slight advantage over my contemporaries. But we all grew up around computers, and technology will guide the future of the legal circle, therefore I must work to excel in what I already have.



Fifth, learn to do the nitty-gritty work (e.g. photocopying, stapling, binding), because when I’m in the office late at night, there will be no clerk to do it for me. [Today I  finally got the chance to photocopy like mad. (I must be desperate to want to photocopy so badly) Binding is next!]



Sixth, adapt to my master and supervisor’s working habits. Have a personal template ready so that I can send a letter in five minutes. Be industrious! [A reason to for OCD. =D]


Taken from here.

Seventh, don't forget to gossip and eavesdrop. [Har?] And don't exclude myself from others when waiting for a case to be heard in court. Listening to an expert in a particular legal field for five minutes is worth much more than an hour of research in the library on the same subject.



Taken from here.



Eighth, check out the AGC's website to see the most recent trends in sentencing, because the cases there are updated daily.


He also said that most people would end up doing conveyancing, so that's probably what I'll end up doing. 

He said that it's a reality of life.


I will fight reality then.


Anything but conveyancing.


Maybe buka a firm that specializes in Jurisprudence.


Client

Hey, someone ordered something from me but don't want to pay. I wanna sue.


Me

Ah, but first: What is law?


Client

Hah? Law is law lah. All I want is to sue that guy for breach of contract!


Me
Ah, but what is a 'contract'?



Client
...


Me
A wise man named Socrates once said...



--Copyright: Anderson.



Bright future for me ahead!





No comments: