Wednesday 15 June 2011

sheep.

Today's Bible study somehow led to the sermon on the mount again. 

The one where Jesus says to turn the other cheek when someone slaps you, give extra baju when someone takes your baju, go the extra mile, love your enemies...

Whenever it leads to this, Mr Lian always asks the same question:

How can we do something so illogical?


How, indeed.

When someone wronged you on purpose,
When someone lied about you to someone else,
When someone took what should have been yours,
When someone is just so mean,

How do you forgive?
How do you give even more?
How do you not do anything to retaliate?

"God is in control," I replied.

It's what Mr Lian said the first time I attended a study which led to the sermon on the mount. 

Every time I say it, it hits harder. 
Every time I say it, I can't say it very loudly.

Because it's so personal, 
Because it's so real.

Today, Mr Lian added another lesson that I will never forget:

If you truly believe in God, 
you will trust Him.
You must not just believe that He exists,
you must trust Him.



I wrote, 

Father, I cannot.


Truly, 
when it had mattered most, 
if it were solely up to me, 
I think I would have been unable to trust Him.

But praise be to God, 
because it wasn't solely up to me.

He put me in a situation where I had no choice but to trust Him.
Because there simply wasn't any other way to go.

Belief.
Trust.

To believe is easy. The gullible believe many things. And they believe many things many times over. 

But even the gullible fail to trust. 

Coupled with trust,
is when belief becomes faith.


Let not your hearts be troubled.
Trust in God;
trust in Me also.

John 14:1

No comments: