Monday 28 February 2011

weber.

Currently reading Max Weber, some dude before Emile Durkheim, which is the other dude the 15 & 16-year-olds in the Youth Fellowship studied last week. (so advanced! Haha.)

Weber calls himself a sociologist, but he was very much a legal positivist to me. 

What are legal positivists?

In very simple terms,

Vulcans.

Picture taken from this site.



Vulcans are this group of hyper-logical people in Star Trek who meditate every night to make sure they suppress their emotions. So you can actually jentik them, and they won't jentik you back wan. Cuz they can't get angry. Hah.

Anyway.

Weber, in his account of law, says that it is possible for the interpretation of a rule to have the determinacy of pure logic. He didn't believe in 'justice', and the fact that the sense of justice had to be expressed in formal maxims apparently made it unimportant.

Yup, Weber was cynical too.

I don't like Weber. 

Ahaha.

He constantly wrote about the 'logical interpretation of meaning', and this is what I like about what a critic's article wrote on Weber:

But meaning is not interpreted by logic. 
Meaning is understood through experience.


I don't know why I like it, but I just do.

See, I find it meaningful because of something in the vast collection of experiences in the deep recesses of my mind. 

I love Jurisprudence!

But later, at 4pm, I will be made to feel like I don't know anything, in the span of just an hour.

But.

I love Jurisprudence!


Note:

Law is too important to be left to lawyers.
Society is too important to be left to sociologists.

- Martin Albrow.


(haha)

No comments: