Tuesday 8 January 2008

Since I'm So Free...

I'd probably start digging around for stuff that I used to write and finally put on the blog all the notes I wrote in A3.

One regret I have about the past is that during the 3 years or so that I was persistently "encouraged" to join essay-writing competitions launched by Infineon and other whatever's (I'm an ignorant, indifferent person, can you tell?), I finally decided I'd like to write one essay my style and according to my own definition of creativity.

It was an essay entitled, "A Happy Family" (common betul) or something of the sort. Sis suggested that I steer clear of the conventional way of writing since it would be so
cliche anyway. So I did. I'll try to rewrite it (doubt I can, though) sometime soon. My mind's already starting to sigh at the idea of rewriting a past essay -_-

The teacher in charge (who also gave me nightmares as the advisor for the school magazine) returned the essay to me and said that it was too abstract. She said that people wanted a story of a real happy family and not one that's the fruit of far-fetched imagination (realize, of course, that I'm merely stating the core of what she said, and not the precise words she used). And so I must put this harshly, but she threw the essay back at me (figuratively... though that's what it felt like) and told Teacher B (who was in charge of sending out essays from the school) the stuff I wrote up there. Yep, she didn't tell me herself. I had to hear it from another teacher. He told me all that she said, and kindly added that if I still wanted to submit the essay, it was fine by him. He told me that it was my choice.

I wish I'd been more confident of myself.

Or at least more brave.

Then I'd have been more willing to take a risk.

Blake Lewis said during the American Idol 2007 Bon Jovi Session Interview:
If you never take risks in life you'll never see anything new.

I wish I'd submitted that essay =(

No comments: