Sunday 4 March 2007

Dad's 2 Samuel

Ken ken wants to use the computer already so I'll make this short.

Believe me, it's short.

Yesterday Dad spoke on 2 Sam for Youth. At one point he talked about how David organized the priests into 24 priestly courses systematically.

I remember reading that, about the gatekeepers, the musicians, and all. It was really systematic and orderly, that's all I can say. Everything was planned out properly and carefully.

At that point, I was wondering: Since there are priests to keep the temple clean and all, do they really keep it clean and spotless all the time?

Do they get tired of cleaning up or take a few seconds' worth of slacking off or leave a tiny area dusty for one day? I mean, when I mop the floor (when school's off and on Fridays for Bible Study), most of the time I make sure I cover every spot in the area upstairs. But sometimes when I'm feeling tired or just not in the mood, I miss out the sharp corners of the wall and under the portable cupboard. Just for that moment.

Then I realized I'd asked a totally illogical and irrelevant question.

Of course they cover every spot la.

No way a nation that's so cautious about writing down God's Name and preserving His laws can slack in keeping the temple clean, especially when it was still the Davidic Period. The temple was really God's house to them! Not only cuz God really dwelt between the cherubim la.

Then another thought came to my mind. Would I do that for church?

Again, I realized I'd asked a rather rhetorical question.

Of course... not...

I mean, I pick up rubbish on the floor when I see them, and try to save on electricity by turning on as little electrical components as possible, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure the floor is spotless or at least clean.

We always criticize the Israelites for disobeying God and all. How ironic to think that we overlook utterly simple things like keeping His house clean. How shameful it is that we even forget that the church is His house most of the time!

At least THEY had some basic cleanliness sense.

All that big talk about obeying God and praising Him and revering Him and following His will etc seems lost in light of the fact that we can't even provide a better place for Him to have His weekly Supper in.

Must buck up!

Ok. Maybe it wasn't that short.

Shorter than usual anyway.

No comments: