Friday 9 February 2007

This Week's Friday

Mdm Chah announced that today's extra class would be cancelled.

Hooray!

I gave a mini-quiz to the CF to prepare them for the postal quiz. The results are --> ^^; and that's all I can type.

Hooray?

Anyway, I was reading my Collection of Fairytales book (after pounding it with my fists back and front to kill any bookworms in there) in the bathroom as usual, and it struck me that fairytales have three things in common:
  1. Miserable self-pity
  2. Selfishness
  3. Eventual happiness and self-satisfaction
I used to jump up and down with joy when I read the ending of each fairytale. But today it seemed as if the authors were just using the stories and the characters to realize their own perfect little worlds that they daydreamed about so often. The stories are always about how they're so pitiful at first, and then they do all sorts of things that we would say are selfish if the bad guys were to do them, and then they live happily ever after, after all their enemies are annihilated, either by them or a fairy.

E.g.
  • "Puss in Boots" Saves his master from poverty just so he wouldn't be skinned and eaten. I missed that part when I last read it and thought the cat was being nice and loyal. The cat killed an ogre (tricked 'em into turning into a mouse, then pounced on it and ate it) and lied to the king (like dunno how many times about his master's 'property')
  • "Beauty and the Beast" The "evil" fairy turns the "handsome prince with a kind heart" into the Beast. The "good" fairy turns Beauty's two "bad sisters" into stone statues who would stand on her stairs and do nothing but witness her happiness. Is it surprising that the good fairy's spell is condoned?
Classic examples of why daydreaming is bad.

No comments: