Monday 18 February 2008

"If Only I Had My Tools"

Get your tools ready and God will use you.
Paul La Botz

There was an awful train wreck. Many were hurt and bleeding. Some were dead. Cries of pain and anguish were heard everywhere. Then someone said, "Is there a doctor here?"

There was a doctor on hand, but, as he saw the broken, bleeding bodies, he cried out helplessly,

"Oh, if only I had my tools! If only I had my tools!"

If a skilled doctor needs tools to work effectively, how much more do we need "tools" to deal with eternal souls. Are we concerned enough to prepare ourselves to be effective in winning children to Christ?

How To Succeed In Winning Children To Christ, George B. Eager, p.39

I think all MGC-ians would nod woefully when I say that the current group of children in the Children's Hour are quite literally monsters. Little monsters they may be, but monsters nonetheless. And I haven't even begun to exaggerate. Brrrr.

This book caught my eye as it was lying among the piles of Sailormoon manga I had in a plastic bag. Thank God for His perfect timing! Because if it were just a year earlier, I'd have dismissed the book as irrelevant to the likes of me.

I'm not gullible enough to think that I'll become a super Children's Ministry guru after I finish this book, but I'm optimistic enough to believe Eager's words:
I am convinced that there are thousands of people who could and would win children to Christ, if only someone would tell them what to do and how to do it.
So far (I'm only up to p.39 - yes, I'm a slow reader), the book has highlighted several mistakes I have seen adults make, and mistakes I have made myself, in teaching and dealing with children. For example:
  • Teaching that God put all our sins on an innocent 3rd party - Jesus. This has caused many children to say / think that God is a meany in heaven.
  • Laughing at children's "silly" sins. One example in the book was when a little girl confessed to Eager that she had the sin of breaking her glasses. I thought it was silly, really. Until I read on and found that it wasn't quite so silly after all.
  • Talking about receiving salvation from the "minimum" point of view, i.e. "All you have to do is confess your sins, repent, and receive Him." It should be a "maximum" kind of teaching, i.e. "In order to be saved, you must confess your sins, repent, and receive Him as Lord and Saviour."
Enough about me.

I believe the author deserves a shine in the spotlight.


*George & Laura Eager

Place of Birth : Valdosta, Georgia

Relations : Laura Eager (wife) and five children

Currently : Founder and director of The Mailbox Club, writes and publishes The Mailbox Club Bible correspondence lessons which are distributed world-wide. He and his wife reside in Valdosta.

History : In January of 1953, his 7-year-old son was tragically killed. God used this heart-breaking experience to bring George and his wife to Himself, and to lead them into the work of presenting the gospel to children and young people. He draws upon practical know-how gained from over 3700 evangelistic meetings with children and young people:
  • How to get your message across
  • How to give an invitation
  • How to counsel effectively
  • How to lead a child to Christ
  • How to evangelize children through the mail
  • How to teach victory to children
*Details taken and suitably modified from How To Succeed In Winning Children To Christ, George B. Eager, back cover

To MGC-ians: Ever wondered how on earth you could possibly tell little Eric the Gospel? Maybe you can at least know the right things to tell him through this book. The how-to-get-him-to-sit-down-and-perk-his-ears-to-listen-'stead-of-runnin'-around-everywhere thing, we can figure out later.

No comments: